Information for women that identify as Black, Asian or another Minority Ethnicity (BAME)
If you are pregnant we want you to know...
When you are in labour, a birth partner who is free of COVID-19 symptoms can be with you to support you.
- We have translation services available, both face to face and over the telephone. Please ask your midwife.
- When you are staying on the ward, our staff are always on hand to offer you support.
You are not alone
Do you have concerns about your pregnancy or your maternity care on account of your ethnicity?
Research produced during the COVID-19 outbreak has shown that pregnant women from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) backgrounds have four times the
chance of having severe symptoms of COVID-19 that require hospitalisation than white women. Research is ongoing to explain why this is the case, so we can provide
you with appropriate care. In these uncertain times, we want to support you with any anxieties you might be experiencing about coming to or staying in hospital.
Your midwife will be asking you at every antenatal check if you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 to try and keep you and your baby safe. If you have COVID-19 symptoms only, please call 111 and they will be able to advise you.
If you have COVID-19 symptoms and another pregnancy related issue please call:
- Frimley Triage 01276 604527
- Wexham MAC 01753 634520Lines are open 24 hours a day.
The symptoms to be aware of are:
- A raised temperature or fever experienced in the last 24 hours
- Flu like symptoms
- Loss of taste and/or smell
If you have any concerns that your ethnicity might be affecting the type of care you are receiving you can call:-
- Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) on 01276 526530 (Frimley Park) or 01753 633365 (Wexham Park).
We have a number of documents available for print/download:
- हिन्दी - Hindi Leaflet
- नेपाली - Nepalese Leaflet
- ਪੰਜਾਬੀ - Punjabi Leaflet
- اردو - Urdu Leaflet
- English Leaflet
- Easy Read Leaflet
A range of other leaflets and information can be found on our resources page.